Monday, January 7, 2013

Goodbye Christmas


We left for North Carolina just days after Christmas and before New Year's so I didn't want to take the Christmas tree down before I left. This morning we woke up and enjoyed the glow of the tree until the sun came up and then decided it was time to take it down.

Since we haven't been to the grocery store since returning I chose to make these scones to munch on while we took everything down. For Christmas my daughter received the DVD of George Balanchine's Nutcracker and she hadn't watched it yet so we popped that in. We watch the Nutcracker year round in our house and I have been wanting to take a little break from the Baryshnikov version we have stuck with for the past couple of years. While I baked she danced out the first act.

Snow is my favorite part of the Nutcracker and I think George Balanchine really did an amazing job with that particular part of the ballet (the Baryshnikov version is only so-so). I adore how toward the end the snow is so thick on the ground that you can see the dancer's footprints; even though I am sure that makes for some difficult dancing the effect is really wonderful. I also really love Arabian/Coffee and Wendy Whelan is superb in this version and Baryshnikov cut that variation out of his Nutcracker!

It has been a very oddly festive morning until, of course, my daughter lost her patience and started running around the house dragging a garland around and demanding to put away the ornaments I was putting away and frustration took over our happy dance filled morning. But that is life with a three-old in a nutshell. ;)

Picture Source: Snowflakes

No comments: