Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Reading Gelsey Kirkland

Source: bing.com via Chelsea on Pinterest

Gelsey Kirkland's most famous book, Dancing on My Grave, details the rise and fall of an extraordinary career. Though a wonder if she  will ultimately be remembered for her drug addiction or her dancing. She danced Clara in Baryshnikov's Nutcracker and I have a feeling she will be remembered, by most, for that. (Here is a link to a clip of her in Giselle, one of my personal favorite ballets)

She wrote a second book along with her, now ex, husband titled The Shape of Love. I have been thinking about it a lot because she goes into the extensive detail of creating the characters she is dancing and how it is more than simply dancing steps. The motivation behind any art form is so important and I believe can really make or break a piece (in dance, film, music, art, etc). I have really been wanting to re-read this book and may have to squeeze it in somehow.

No comments: