Monday, September 20, 2010

The Dancer in the Garden

This wonderful sculpture is hidden in the trees at the bicentennial gardens in Greensboro. There are many sculptures throughout, but I never noticed this one until my daughter found the swings in the memorial garden. As we were swinging one day I looked over and there she was. So lovely, yet somehow fleeting. Most of the sculptures in the gardens are solid and were placed in clearings to highlight them. I wonder why she is so hidden, just an outline. Yet, there is something about her that is full of life and beauty.

Until I was about sixteen I really wanted to be a ballerina. There is something so magical about tying the ribbons on your pointe shoes. I still have a pile of them that keep in a box under my bed. My very first pair I hang on the wall. I'm hoping to spend this year working on a documentary about ballerinas. It has always been my goal for my two loves to intertwine: ballet and film. Here's to dreams.

1 comment:

Megan said...

That is a lovely sculpture! And it's cool how you might not notice it right away since it's only an outline. I'm excited to hear more about this documentary once you get it figured out!