Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 06: A book I'm reading.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xEehooYC6Rk/TUDWy6u2oFI/AAAAAAAADD0/Y9q9M7KfYaM/s1600/degas.jpg
Right now I am reading Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet. It was a little daunting at first because it is 672 pages and it looks much longer than that. I love history and I love ballet so this book is a match made in heaven for me. It is really well written and thought provoking. For instance ballet began as a physical representation of geometry. I had never thought about that before, but it makes so much sense because many of the movements we do make circles, we move within a square, are very concerned about "our line," and dancers usually make interesting shapes on the stage as well. It is also amazing to make direct correlations with something that I presently do with the renaissance and the enlightenment. Check out this article about how Jennifer Homan's wrote the book.


(Degas Painting "The Rehearsal" 1873, source)

No comments: